Sunday, January 17, 2010

Back to Reality

My adjustment back to Omaha has been a hard one. It was a good thing we drove back from my family Christmas in Cedar Falls back to Omaha at night, because the views lacking mountains and instead copious fields of corn would have been too much all too soon. I do miss the beautiful scenery of Alaska that the Midwest can't quite provide. Driving around in Omaha during traffic the next day was also overwhelming - 4 lanes of traffic each way after not driving for a couple months made me on edge! But I don't want everyone to think that coming back to Omaha was all horrible. It really hit me when we got to my apartment door. I got a little teary-eyed, and then started crying after I walked in and saw the Christmas tree that Robin and Hilary had put up for when I got home. I absolutely love being at home with Justin and the dogs, I missed them soooo much when I was gone.
When I first came back, the 20' above zero here was quite balmy compared to the -20' I'd been used to. It took me a couple days before I even wore a coat outside! And the other strange transition: wearing sunglasses again. :) One more thing that's nice about being back in the lower 48 - cheap groceries and much better produce!
Over the past couple of weeks in seeing lots of family and friends I've been asked about my experience in the northern latitudes. Every time, and it never fails, I get a giant smile across my face and I start talking about how awesome Alaska was. The next question is usually, "Do you want to go back?" My response, "Someday". Justin and I dream of going back, but it's just not in the cards for right away after graduation and with the wedding. The job offer from the clinic I was at in Fairbanks is very appealing, so I hope they will hold out for a year!
I've started my next clinical at a small out-patient facility here in Omaha. It is actually pretty close to our apartment, so the short commute is refreshing. I've started to pick up in my patient load, which is nice, but I'm still a student: paying tuition to work. The 16 weeks will go by fast, and graduation will be here before I know it. And then boards - yikes!
Justin and I are starting more of the planning for the wedding! September seems like a long way off, but we are realizing we have so much left to do! We have most of the big decisions and ideas out of the way, so now it's time to take care of all the little details! It is very exciting, and so far we are loving all of it! We'll keep you posted...

Thanks for reading everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment